Role Title: Apprentice Data Analyst Level 4 (Emissions Inventories-Environmental Evidence and Policy)
Salary: 15,000-19,000 dependent on qualifications
Location: London or Harwell (Oxfordshire) (office based long term, potentially home-based initially)
The duration of the apprenticeship will be 22 months.
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
The Environmental Evidence and Policy team of over 250 consultants, scientists and engineers develop and apply state-of-the-art tools and techniques to deliver effective solutions to difficult air quality and greenhouse gas problems. Our team includes knowledge leaders on air quality measurement, inventory development, modelling, exposure assessment, chemical modelling, public health impacts, information management and data visualisation. Our clients benefit from the full range of air quality and greenhouse gas services that result in solutions and strategies tailored to addressing challenges at local, city and national scales. We deliver hundreds of projects every year, to public and private sector clients in the UK and overseas, including flagship programmes such as the UK's national air quality measurement network (AURN), the National Atmospheric Emissions Inventory (NAEI) and the annual national scale air quality modelling assessment on behalf of UK Government.
We now have an opportunity for an apprentice data analyst to support a range of exciting and innovative projects within our Modelling and Inventories team. Your responsibilities will include research and data analysis that underpins our consultancy work, including delivery of the UK's National Atmospheric Emissions Inventory. The duration of the apprenticeship will be 22 months.
You will manage your time across several projects and business areas, although the focus of this role is to support work in our Emissions Inventories and Projections work. This will include contributing in all phases - from supporting the preparation of proposals to win new contracts, through researching and analysing information and data, to contributing to reports that are delivered to clients.
Formal training will be provided by Learning Curve Group and supplemented by on-the job training. This will include:
* Excel, Access and MySQL skills
* Access and extract data from a range of sources
* Algorithms/hypothesis and preparing suitable statistical data models over a range of datasets
* Data processing including automation of process.
* Data visualisation and formatting skills
* Estimation of uncertainties
* Presentation and communication skills
* Technical and report writing
* Planning and organisational skills
* Fundamentals of finance for business
* Introduction to coding in R and/or Python or other programming systems
* Principles of quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC)
* Data integration tools and techniques
* Quality issues for data analysis
* Testing requirements and testing data models including automatic testing.
* 1 day per week of 'off the job' training, delivered by Learning Curve Group.
* Final assessment
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
* Maths and English GCSEs at A-C grade (or equivalent)
* A-levels or equivalent in science/mathematics related subjects
* Strong problem-solving and numeracy skills
* Microsoft Excel and Access skills are an advantage, but training will be provided
* Interest in or experience of data processing and statistical analysis using functional programming languages such as Python or R (coding) will be advantageous
* Applicants will ideally have an interest in air quality and climate change issues, and enjoy working with complex data
* Effective communication skills
* Excellent organisation and time management skills
* Accuracy and attention to detail
* Self-reliant and proactive
* Flexibility, resilience and enthusiasm
* Strong team working skills
If you enjoy working with data, and are keen to make a difference, then we welcome your application!
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive remuneration and benefits package and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field.
Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this message by our CEO.