2021 Construction Development Programme
Do you have attention to detail, high standards on quality and a collaborative approach with people? Prefer to be out on site than in the office? The Construction Development Programme offers the opportunity to join our Construction team as a Trainee Project Supervisor. This training programme will provide on-site, classroom and virtual training over an 18-month period to enable you to confidently challenge the quality and safety of schemes of works on live construction sites from electricity substations to gas compressor terminals.
Capital Delivery (Construction) manage hundreds of construction projects across the country - we manage the contractor delivering the building work on site. The Project Supervisor is the key client representative onsite working closely with the site contractor to ensure safety, quality and schedule expectations is maintained at National Grid's high standards. Is the contractor building to our high standards? Are they doing it safely? If not, can you challenge the Site Manager constructively and work collaboratively to get it right?
During the programme you'll have the opportunity to develop technical knowledge along with project, contract and stakeholder management skills. You will gain on-site expertise and specialist experience of the energy sector, building solid foundations for your career in the Construction industry.
There has never been a more exciting time to join the Construction team. We will be delivering major projects that will secure the energy supply for future generations. This team is central to these projects as we refurbish and replace existing infrastructure to focus on sustainable construction for the future and alternative technologies.
What are the entry requirements?
If you're interested in applying, you should hold one of the qualifications listed below in addition to relevant work experience in a construction, engineering, military or operational role.
- HNC/HND, ONC or BTEC level 3 in a Construction or Engineering discipline AND relevant work experience;
- Degree in Engineering, Construction, Project Management or Quantity Surveying AND relevant work experience;
- NEBOSH Level 3 AND relevant work experience;
- SMSTS AND relevant work experience.
You must also have a full driver's licence.
What are the benefits?
- A starting salary of £31,319
- Current salary at end of programme - £37,300
- Company car
- A generous pension scheme where we will double match up to 6% (maximum Company contribution of 12%) of your salary each month i.e. for every £1 you contribute, we'll put another £2 (you can contribute more un-matched if you want to)
- 25 days annual leave plus 8 statutory days - option available to buy extra holiday days
- You will also have access to several other flexible benefits such as a share incentive plan, salary sacrifice car and technology schemes
What are the locations?
The classroom training is typically based at our Training Centre in Eakring, Nottinghamshire and will require you to spend some time away from home for a portion of the scheme. The role itself requires a lot of driving to sites across your region - you must be prepared to travel and stay away from home as and when required.
The locations we are recruiting for:
Electricity - Substations/Overhead Lines
- North - Merseyside, Leeds, Sheffield or York;
- Central - North Wales, Cambridge, Ipswich or Norwich;
- London - Amersham or Central London;
- South - Kent, Sussex, Didcot, Reading; South West - Bristol.
Gas - Compressor Stations/Pipelines
- Aberdeenshire (St Fergus) or North Norfolk (Bacton Terminal)
Dependant on the location you choose in the pre-screening question on application, if you're successful for the scheme you will be trained in that specific discipline i.e. Aberdeenshire/Norfolk location is specifically recruiting trainees to complete the Gas technical training programme.
What is the selection process?
- Stage 1 - Application (October - November)
- Stage 2 - Telephone Interviews (late November - December)
- Stage 3 - Virtual Assessment Centres (January) - you will need video capability via phone/tablet or laptop to complete the assessment
- Stage 4 - Feedback or Offer process (January/February)
The start date for this programme will be 12th April 2021 and due to the popularity and high application numbers, we begin recruiting in October for an April start. If successful, you must be able to commit to starting on this date.
If you require any further information, or have any questions, email the team...... click apply for full job details