Role Title: Global Head of Specialized Infrastructure Engineering
What will you be doing
The specialized infrastructure team is responsible for the engineering and operations for all of our low latency electronic trading infrastructure as well as other specialized technologies not yet used broadly within the bank. The team provides a competitive advantage for the Barclays electronic trading and market making teams by engineering, deploying, and supporting cutting edge network switches, interface cards, and other hardware. In addition to trading the team supports other application teams utilizing cutting edge technologies such as GPUs and FPGAs. The team supports a global business with 22 co-location facilities in 9 countries. The department is also responsible for managing some of our clients' infrastructure in co-location with Barclays and the exchanges.
Overall purpose of role
Global Head of Specialized Infrastructure Engineering will manage a global team to design purpose built solutions to meet new business and regulatory requirements, as well as provide Level 3 support for the four disciplines under SI. These solutions may be adopted to the wider Barclays groups once the technology is proven and service is matured in deployment.
• Full stack engineer that can design resilient infrastructure while troubleshooting and contributing to code
• Build highly scalable resilient infrastructure
• Build sustainable architecture via infrastructure as code methods
• Communicate architecture designs, risks, and timelines to stakeholders
• Support implementation of projects from inception to post-release
• Ownership of complete architecture and software quality end-to-end
• Ownership and responsibility of environment from development to production
• Document and encourage adoption of new systems and technology throughout the organization
• Build and support continuous integration and delivery methods
What we're looking for
• Advance level knowledge of:
• Extensive knowledge of linux systems
• Cloud technologies, particularly AWS
• Infrastructure as code tools such as Terraform, Kubernetes
• Web standards like HTTP, JSON and RESTful APIs
• Source code management tools, particularly Git
• SQL and relational databases (Postgres, MySQL, Oracle, etc) and NoSQL databases (DynamoDB, MongoDB, etc)
• Continuous Integration and Delivery tools
• Container technologies like Docker
• Functional, imperative or object-oriented language, particularly Scala or Java
• Work experience as SRE/DevOps or equivalent Inter Process Communication (IPC) mechanisms
• Networking (knowledge of multicast "desired")
• Programming - Python (for automation, and non-performance centric code)
• Scripting, "Bash"
• Programming in C/C++ (low latency and network centric preferred)
• System and Network Monitoring. "Corvil CCA/CCE experience desired"
• Reliable Messaging Protocols (LBM, Solace, TibRV)
• Databases, ex: Relational (Oracle), Column Oriented (KDB), Graph
• Baremetal server hardware
• System / kernel performance tuning (desired)
• Hardware acceleration: FPGA, offload engines, high performance NIC cards
• DevOps Automation: Puppet, Ansible, Chef
• TimeSync: GPS, PTP, NTP
Skills that will help you in your role
• Industry latency benchmark tooling
• Strong analytical reasoning and problem solving skills, with the ability to assess production impact and risk.
• Strong project management, interpersonal, and communication skills.
• Self-motivated and comfortable making decisions without the need for immediate supervision
Purpose and Values
Barclays has a single cross-business Purpose for Barclays and five core Values which underpin it.
Our Purpose is to create opportunities for people to rise- customers, clients, colleagues and society. Put simply this is the answer to the question 'What is Barclays for?' and it should guide our every action as employees.
We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Our Mindset shapes how we take action, living by our Values, driven by our Purpose, always with our customers and clients at the heart of what we do; our Mindset is to Empower, Challenge and Drive.
Trust and support each other to deliver. Make decisions with those closest to the topic. Include diverse perspectives. Celebrate success and learn from failure.
Question whether things can be done better. Use insights based on data to inform decisions. Be curious about how we can adapt and improve. Speak up and be open to alternative viewpoints.
Focus on outcomes. Deliver with pace. Be passionate and ambitious about what we do. Take personal responsibility. Actively build collaborative relationships to get things done.