AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital.
A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine.
AECOM's Infrastructure team comprises of civil engineering specialists within our Building Engineering Business Line. We deliver creative infrastructure solutions for building projects for industry, government, commercial and leisure sectors by providing input to projects ranging from the largest regeneration projects in the UK to small housing developments. We work for both private and public sector clients, most of whom return to us for our experience of the industry and knowledge of their requirements.
We work across all construction stages, from pre-feasibility through feasibility, design and construction and across a wide range of sectors including - Housing Developments, Shopping Centres, Airports and Education. Our work includes:
- Engagement in masterplan development
- Contributions to Transport Assessments and EIA process
- Preparation of surface water drainage strategies and flood risk assessments
- Preparation of foul water drainage strategies and utility appraisals
- Site levels design and cut/fill analysis to optimise use of materials on site
- Feasibility and highway route studies
- Highway design
- Junction design
- Traffic management planning
- Pavement analysis and design
- Drainage analysis and design
- Utility layout and diversion design
- Streetscape (street lighting, fencing, traffic signals and traffic sign) design
- Coordination of designs with the project team in 3d as part of BIM
- Liaising with authorities to secure approval for the designs
- Construction support
Examples of the type of projects the Civil / Infrastructure are involved in include:
- Shawfield Masterplan and Remediation project; Glasgow - AECOM assembled a team of in-house and external consultants with specialist experience to address the technical challenges associated with the regeneration of this complex 65 Ha site. AECOM also provided engineering, geotechnical, environmental, hydrology and civil/structural services, with sub consultants providing transportation, masterplanning, architectural, landscape architecture services and planning expertise. The site, with a new river walkway and footbridge, forms the southern part of the overall Clyde Gateway Development of 800 hectares.
- Old Oak Common; London - AECOM is providing infrastructure and masterplanning services to OPDC for the regeneration of the largest brownfield site in Europe. The site is located in the west of London, bordered by railway lines, a canal and local highways. Old Oak aims to provide over 26,000 new homes, approximately 560,000sqm of new office accommodation, and the creation of nearly 49,000 new jobs over the period up to 2050. The Mayor's ambition is that 50% of homes will be affordable. The development will be phased providing a range of uses, including homes, commercial, retail, leisure and community facilities built at high density. The proposed development requires significant improvements to utility infrastructure including new highways and bridges, and new
- strategic utilities (including a new low carbon district heating network, new and upgraded electrical power, drainage, potable water, gas and telecoms services).
- City of London Markets; London - AECOM is providing Infrastructure, Structural, Transportation and Environmental services to the City of London for the relocation and consolidation of the existing historic Billingshurst; Spittalfields and Smithfields markets to a single new site.
- North West Cambridge; Cambridge - Since 2009 AECOM has been providing engineering consultancy services for the University of Cambridge's 136ha mixed use North West Cambridge development. Providing multi-disciplinary engineering design services including highway design, drainage strategies and flood risk assessment, energy strategy, geotechnical and geochemical investigations.
- Rolls Royce, UK Sites - AECOM has a long history working with Rolls-Royce as one of its global suppliers across its worldwide estate. Within the UK we have helped Rolls-Royce deliver many projects, from relocation of a tool shed through to new manufacturing facilities. The range of civil engineering services we provide are also many and diverse and for every stage of a project from site acquisition through to asset disposals.
- Manchester Airport Westgate PP12 - The outline and detailed design for the relocation of the existing security control post to allow vehicles (mainly cargo and airside service vehicles) to pass from landside to airside. Security compliance requirements for vehicles heading onto and off the airfield. Project also includes a new waste recycling facility and a new security control building. Services include civils, utilities, geotechnical, structures & pavements
Your key responsibilities, with support from your team, may include the following:
- Preparation of concept surface and foul water drainage designs
- Development of preliminary utility layouts
- Production of initial junction options
- 3d modelling of site levels and road design
- Development of drainage strategies
- Liaison with other disciplines within the project team to coordinate designs
- Opportunities to work on multiple projects as the workload dictates
- Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering (minimum degree classification 2:1 or equivalent) with an MSc in Civil/Structural Engineering or a Masters degree (MEng) in Civil Engineering
- Good numeric and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Creative, practical, adaptable and enthusiastic
- Ability to demonstrate attention to detail
- Ability to think in a methodical way to design, plan and organize parts of projects
- Ability to demonstrate a desire to pursue a career in civil engineering and to gain CEng from a relevant engineering institution
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our GDP forms a core art of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 750 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Ireland, from over 40 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in.
We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including Chartership with the relevant international professional institution - where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK & Ireland. We will push you to achieve the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job technical development and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
aecom_ireland_graduate_brochure_2019-20.pdf Ireland Graduate Brochure
aecom_uki_graduate_brochure_2019-20.pdf UK Graduate Brochure