AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital.
A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine.
AECOM are looking for an exceptional graduate planner to join our busy studio. We enjoy what we do at AECOM, bringing projects to life in the cities and communities in which we work, and we're driven by a set of values and a common purpose - to create, enhance and sustain the world's built, natural and social environments. Innovation is built into every project we manage and every community we serve.
We'll provide you with the support you need in an environment that allows you to grow and succeed.
As a graduate in our Planning team, you will have the opportunity to work on a wide range of project types from feasibility work through to the regeneration strategies. The scope will include preparation of planning applications, undertaking site visits and report writing and working collaboratively across our network of offices.
We enjoy an exceptional team approach working closely with architects, engineers, ecologists, economists and other related professionals to develop award winning integrated projects. Our local practice network leverages AECOM's global presence to address urban and rural planning problems and to serve as catalysts for regeneration.
Our team of planners delivers a range of exciting and varied projects across the Europe, Middle East and Africa region. We work in dynamic and challenging environments, in multi-disciplinary teams delivering solutions to a broad base of client sectors including development, energy, oil, gas, water, government and transportation.
We are looking for creative and highly motivated team players that have the ability to assist other members of the Planning team who would like the fantastic opportunity to further their career, gaining valuable experience to be part of exciting projects on a local and national level within an established consultancy.
Examples of projects the Town Planning team are involved in include:
- East Bank, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park - Having gained planning consent for the Legacy Communities Scheme on the Olympic Park, AECOM's planning team have led the complex planning applications for the new UCL East Campus and the Stratford Waterfront development on the East Bank which will see the BBC, V&A, Sadlers Wells and London College of Fashion creating a new cultural heart to London at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
- Northern Arc, Burgess Hill - AECOM submitted a hybrid planning application for a 3,500 home urban extension to the north of Burgess Hill on behalf of Homes England. Our planning team coordinated the major multi-disciplinary team to produce the masterplan, Infrastructure Delivery Plan and Phasing Strategy. We submitted the application within 3 months of scheme fix.
- Rolls-Royce, UK wide - AECOM are Rolls-Royce's planning advisor across its UK sites. We secured permission for a site wide masterplan for Derby Aerospace Campus and continue to secure various permissions as the company modernises and consolidates its estate.
- Neighbourhood Planning Support - Since 2014, AECOM has been working with Locality to deliver technical support to groups doing neighbourhood planning throughout England, on behalf of the Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government. Support ranges from assessing local housing need through site assessment to design. To date we have completed over 600 packages of support to neighbourhood groups.
- Oxford Cambridge Arc Study - AECOM have been chosen by the UK Government to define the growth opportunities in the Oxford-Cambridge Arc, the first UK study at this scale in a generation.
- Growth and Infrastructure Framework - Greater Essex - AECOM have worked with Greater Essex authorities to produce a Growth and Infrastructure Framework (GIF) for the county and two unitary authorities (Southend and Thurrock). The framework presents an overview of housing and economic growth over 20 years to 2036, analyses the infrastructure required, and estimates associated investment requirements and the likely funding gap. It covers all forms of infrastructure supporting the economic, environmental and social needs of the area. AECOM have produced comparable frameworks for Kent, Hertfordshire, Surrey, West Sussex and Staffordshire.
- SIB Planning Framework - Since 2016, AECOM have been sole provider offering planning advice to the Strategic Investment Board on various government owned sites in Northern Ireland.
- Gasworks Northern Fringe - AECOM are providing planning support to Belfast City Council for the re-development of an inner city former gasworks site as a proposed mixed use commercial development.
When a graduate starts with us we pair them with an experienced member of the team who will guide and mentor them through their initial period working on live projects. Their initial role will support and assist with the completion of tasks such as:
- Input into the production of planning applications.
- Production of feasibility reports.
- Assistance towards the coordination of multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Field visits and surveys.
- Research and analysis.
- Community and stakeholder consultation.
- A graduate with a degree level qualification in Planning (minimum 2:1).
- Planning work experience beyond academic study (minimum 6 months achieved either during studies, industrial placement, vacation work or since).
- Ability to interpret construction/design plans and drawings and understand how these manifest physically.
- Able to work on own initiative and under pressure.
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office including Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Sound knowledge of UK Planning policy and legislation.
- Interest in all aspects of Planning.
- Ability to deliver Planning solutions, and successfully manage time to meet project deadlines.
- A hard working and highly motivated individual with excellent communication, presentation and report writing skills.
- Client focused with good interpersonal skills and team approach with a high level of commitment towards the job.
- Full current driving licence and access to a form of transport to travel to various sites to carry out the duties of the post.
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our GDP forms a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 750 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Ireland, from over 40 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in.
We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including Chartership with the relevant international professional institution - where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK & Ireland. We will push you to achieve the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job technical development and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
aecom_ireland_graduate_brochure_2019-20.pdf Ireland Graduate Brochure
aecom_uki_graduate_brochure_2019-20.pdf UK Graduate Brochure