Role Title: Principal Consultant/Associate Director - Air Quality Transport Emissions
Salary range: 44-70,000 per annum dependent on experience
Location: UK (London, Harwell, Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow, Homeworking)
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award-winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
We provide of air quality services to the UK's public sector and are seeking to further strengthen our air quality team, by appointing an experienced air quality consultant specialising in transport emissions. The successful applicant will make a contribution to growth across the business, including but not limited to the area of national compliance assessment, emission inventories and working with colleagues in our Automotive and Engineering Division on vehicle emission reduction.
Our team supports major projects for UK Government including the UK's National Atmospheric Emissions Inventory (NAEI), the national Modelling of Ambient Air Quality (MAAQ) and the UK's national air quality measurement network (AURN). We are a key contractor for the European Commission on air quality and emissions policy.
You would be joining Ricardo Energy & Environment's Air Quality Modelling and Emission Inventories team of 50 consultants, which includes a sub-team of six transport emission specialists. The role will require the use of air quality emission and modelling tools, interpretation of technical data and preparation of technical reports. You should have the ability to interact with air quality professionals including policymakers at national and international level and to write reports in English to a professional standard.
You will work closely with colleagues in the London, Harwell, Glasgow, and Manchester offices to deliver high-quality solutions on a range of projects within these national contracts including characterising the impacts of policy on air pollution levels, developing and modelling policy scenarios, and making use of data to support decision making.
We are looking for someone to technically support the current transport air quality team at a senior level, working with and building on our existing track record and our delivery teams. We are looking for a high calibre scientist, with a proven track record, to help shape and grow our emission modelling technical expertise and business in the UK and internationally. You are likely to be a respected member of the air quality scientific community with:
* the ability to deliver robust technical outputs that withstand high-level scrutiny;
* an innovative mindset that pushes at technical boundaries to enhance delivery;
* an inclusive culture fit for our consultancy team;
* deep knowledge of air quality and emissions regulatory regime in the UK, Europe and beyond;
* an extensive network of relevant contacts.
While the focus for this role is transport emissions ideally you will be knowledgeable across all emission sectors and have a good understanding of policy perspectives and impacts, whilst maintaining an independent scientific standpoint. You will work across the air quality and greenhouse gas emission spectrum seeking out and helping to secure new business opportunities, grow our team and track market developments. You will be able to engage with a wide range of clients, leveraging your existing network and reputation and Ricardo's capabilities and expertise.
Most importantly you will have the drive and dedication to succeed and must be comfortable working at a senior technical level in a consultancy environment.
Key Competencies & Experience:
* Experience of working in an environmental consultancy or academia, with a firm grasp of air quality and climate challenges
* Strong scientific-technical knowledge of emissions from transport, ideally including a background in atmospheric chemistry, air quality modelling and data science
* A Bachelors, Masters or PhD in a relevant discipline and/or exceptional and demonstratable track record
* Highly numerate with strong attention to detail and the ability to scrutinise data sets within a structured quality assurance standards and protocols system.
* Excellent leadership skills which create motivated and high-performance teams
* Have personal drive and determination to succeed, be self-determining and able to positively contribute to the business at a senior level in a consultancy environment.
* A strong track record in client relationship management with an ability to direct projects and deliver client outcomes.
* Strong communications skills, both written and oral to a variety of audiences including prominent scientists, policymakers and the public.
What we offer
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications before the closing date.