About ARC ARC is an independent engineering consultancy providing safety, risk, human factors and engineering services to hazardous and high risk industries. Established in 2002, ARC has successfully grown to service clients throughout the World from offices across the UK and Australia.
ARC's flexible ways of working and its unique culture have resulted in recognition and various accolades over the years. We are particularly proud to have been in the Sunday Times Top 100 Small Companies to Work For 8 times. This year we are placed 16th. We were also voted by the London Stock Exchange Group as one of the top 1000 companies to inspire Britain in 2018.
We recognise that the loyalty and commitment of our staff is our greatest asset. We are interested in high calibre employees who wish to work in a fast paced, energetic consultancy. Our staff enjoy benefits and remuneration, which are regarded to be amongst the best available (Sunday Times Best Small Companies), and includes; an employee share scheme, 38 days leave - inclusive of bank holidays, free family health care and travel insurance, and other perks including, flexible ways of working, a relaxed working environment and heavy investment in personal development.
We are fully committed to the development of our staff to ensure that they thrive as the company grows and we also arrange two conferences a year where we bring all of our staff together.
Demand for ARC's services is growing and opportunities exist for experienced consultants.
We are actively recruiting for a talented senior or principal Civil/Structural Engineer to help the existing structures team with a number of recently acquired contracts within the nuclear industry. ARC provides services to clients in major hazard industries including nuclear, oil and gas, renewables and transportation as well as commercial and public sectors to manage health, safety, security, environmental and business risk.
The role would suit a strongly self-motivated and technically-biased chartered Civil/Structural Engineer who is looking to further develop their technical and managerial expertise within a safety-critical industry environment. The role promises great autonomy and the opportunity to shape and take forward the civil and structural engineering section within a medium-sized independent firm of safety consultants. However, this is not just a 'number crunching' role and you will be expected to run your own projects, visit sites, attend meetings, prepare reports and be encouraged to develop further commercial opportunities.
The Civil/Structural Engineer will have considerable potential for future progression within the company and ARC offers a negotiable competitive salary package, commensurate with experience. Benefits include company pension, share scheme, private healthcare and a generous annual holiday entitlement.
The successful Civil/Structural Engineer will have:
· An innate understanding of civil/structural engineering and the ability to demonstrate structural compliance against defined safety-critical and operational performance criteria.
· All-round experience in the design and assessment of building structures including load bearing masonry, reinforced concrete and structural steelwork.
· Proven UK design experience utilising British Standards/Eurocodes.Knowledge of US design standards for nuclear structures (ACI/ANSI/ASCE) and experience of seismic design principles would be an advantage.
· Five years' experience post-Chartered Membership (MIStructE or MICE).
· Competence with computer analysis of structures and design of structural elements in most common materials.
· Good verbal and written communication skills with experience of report writing.
· Experience of site inspections/surveys.
· Participate in meetings/communications with clients and other professionals and present a confident manner in dealing with them.
· Commitment to health and safety, CDM and CPD requirements.
Desirable attributes and experience (training can be given):
· Recent experience of linear and non-linear structural analysis using ANSYS, ABAQUS or similar.
· Experience of Structural Fire Integrity Analysis for the Oil & Gas sector using USFOS, ANSYS,ABAQUS or similar.
· Working knowledge of practical risk management tools and techniques and the safety assurance process (i.e. hazard identification and assessment [HAZOPs, Fault-tree Analysis, Failure Mode Effects Cause & Analysis] through to Design Basis Substantiation of SSCs for Safety Functional Requirements and ALARP analysis)
· Experience/understanding of production of nuclear, oil & gas or transportation safety cases. Knowledge of ONR Safety Assessment Principles
Duties and responsibilities will include:
· Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of relevant design and safety standards, construction technologies & methods and use of appropriate design aided software.
· Fostering strong analytical and numeracy skills.
· Developing and maintaining high level of computer literacy.
· Providing technical safety support and advice to clients and other team members.
· Developing expertise in the production of nuclear safety cases.
· Developing project management and technical skills for multi-disciplinary projects.
· Managing and developing existing, established client relationships.
· Developing new business...... click apply for full job details