With over 85,000 employees globally, AECOM is the largest environmental and engineering consultancy in the world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organisations in more than 150 countries. In the UK our award winning environmental team comprises more than 900 environmental staff who work across all major engineering markets: power; oil, gas and chemicals; transportation; commercial and residential; education; governments; healthcare; industrial; leisure and hospitality; sports and venues; and water.
As a result of our continued success, we are seeking a Principal Consultant to join our Environment and Planning Team based in our York office. This is a fantastic opportunity to join one of the most highly rated EIA teams in the UK.
By joining our 80 plus Environment and Planning Team in the Midlands and North, we offer you the potential to be involved across a wide range of development projects, with a particular focus on infrastructure projects. You will provide environmental inputs across project lifecycles; from early strategy development, through feasibility, optioneering/ option selection, outline design, to detailed design and construction and scheme operation/ maintenance.
You will provide input to locally and nationally significant development schemes that are progressing through all types of consenting regimes (including Development Consent and Transport and Works Act Orders) working with high profile clients such as Network Rail, Highways England, National Grid, power companies, local authorities and many others.
A selection of our current and recent projects includes:
- Transpennine Route Upgrade (Network Rail)
- Various major highway development schemes (Highways England)
- Various new power station developments
- Power transmission commissions (National Grid)
- HS2 Phase 2b (Lot 2 Leeds South) (HS2)
The appropriate level of technical expertise is required in order that the Job / Project Accountabilities listed below can be carried out to the necessary standard.
- Manage and coordinate multidisciplinary environmental inputs to a wide range of development projects, with a focus on infrastructure projects.
- Manage and coordinate preparation of EIA screening and scoping reports and Environmental Statements, including the technical review of specialist chapters.
- Liaise with clients and internal supply teams.
- Work in partnership with other members of the Environmental Team, delegating activities to staff as applicable.
- Work with design teams to ensure that environmental considerations are appropriately taken into account.
- Staff mentoring and management duties.
- Monitor and manage budgets.
- Assist with business development activities and manage preparation of technical proposals.
- A degree in a relevant environmental discipline.
- Appropriate professional membership.
- Experience commensurate with specified job responsibilities.
- Experience managing and coordinating environmental commissions and EIAs for a wide range of development projects.
- Experience of infrastructure projects including transportation, roads, thermal energy, renewable energy, port-related developments and electrical connections.
- An excellent understanding of the EIA processes (including screening and scoping), environmental assessment methods and applicable planning legislation.
- Excellent report writing, technical reviewing and communication skills - all with an attention to detail.
- Excellent project management skills, including experience of programming, and budget/ financial management.
- The ability to work as part of an established team, supervising members of staff as applicable.
- Full driving licence and a willingness to travel.
- Post-graduate degree.
- CEnv qualification.
- Experience of the DCO and TWAO consenting regimes.