Applications have closed
This listing has expired.Staines, Middlesex Wood
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is recognised as a market-leader for engineering design and project delivery of energy transition infrastructure. We are a trusted partner that helps our clients achieve a low carbon energy future. Our extensive expertise across the carbon capture and storage, hydrogen and renewable power sectors is coupled with our knowledge of the latest technologies and sustainable design solutions. We work closely with our clients, and the wider supply chain, to ensure that we reduce the carbon footprint across the value chain and deliver digital solutions suitable for the lifecycle of the asset. Our portfolio of project work covers new developments, expansion of existing assets, and the optimisation of facilities and systems.
This role is to work on a Clean Energy project for an offshore windfarm substation which will run for 12 - 18 months.
Wood is looking for a Principal Piping Material Engineer to help execute assigned work in accordance with the applicable Project Procedures and Standards, on safety and quality control, within the man-hour budgets and schedules assigned. This role will be based in the Staines office on an agency basis.
The Piping Materials discipline sits within our dedicated Piping Group. You will be given the opportunity to work on various FEED, EPC and PMC projects for local and international clients and become a pivotal member of the group.
- Develop the piping classes for all process and utility systems to compliment the needs of a project
- Compile specifications for fabrication, shop and field testing of piping systems
- Create and maintain all data sheets for process and utility valves
- Create a listing of piping special items / components, such as hose couplings, steam traps and valve interlocks
- Create, specify and maintain data sheets for piping special (SP) items, such that the items can be purchased
- Assist with the assemble of piping bulk material requisitions, defining all relevant documentation / requirements
- An awareness and understanding of non-destructive testing examination methods/requirements
- Display an awareness of corrosion characteristics and welding processes
- Review offers from suppliers and perform a technical bid evaluation of the materials offered
- Make a technical assessments and recommendations when required
- Post purchase order placement, review and approve supplier documentation for the related piping components
- Visit the suppliers premises to attend kick-off / alignment meetings, the testing of piping components or clarification meetings
- Liaise with the engineering disciplines: Piping Design, Stress Analysis, Process, Instruments, Static Equipment, Procurement and Material Control
- Liaise with the Lead Piping MTO Engineer regarding the interpretation of the Client's specifications and standards
- Assist with the preparation of technical work practices to ensure consistent working methods
- Assist and deputise for Lead Materials Engineer in Planning, Progress Reporting, Manpower Loading and general administration activities on a project
Skills / Qualifications
- Technically qualified to Bachelors degree level and or qualification equivalent to IEng or Eng Tech registration
- Knowledge of the following codes: B31.1 Power Piping, B31:2 Fuel gas Piping and B31.3 Process Piping
- Detailed knowledge and proven application in all aspects of Piping Materials
- Be able to develop safe and mechanically sound Piping routes
- Interface with other Engineering disciplines in the development of Piping systems
- Have a proven track record in PDS or a similar CAD Software package
- Carry out other duties assigned by Chief Engineer (Piping)
- Keep abreast of latest technology for piping materials and investigate technical acceptability of new products and methods.
- Keep aware of Foster Wheeler methods for material take off and bulk material control as they affect specifications.
- Suggest ways to improve efficiency and service and to reduce costs.
- Participate in proposal activities as required.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 35,000 people.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.