Process Safety Engineer
Flexible Base Location (Warrington, Birmingham, Hinckley, Rayleigh, Slough, Sheffield)
Here at Cadent we're at the start of an exciting journey of transformation, growth and evolution. We're new but we're 200 years old. (You might have known us as part of National Grid but now we've transformed ourselves to Cadent). We're the UK's largest gas network connecting and keeping energy flowing to our customer's 12 million homes and businesses across the UK.
We're proud of our story so far and we're super powered up about what our future holds. That's where you come in!
Join us as a Process Safety Engineerand start a transformation journey adding real purpose and direction to your career and feel genuinely proud about what you do.
About the Role
Engineering Services provide technical expertise and guidance to operational and project delivery teams to drive regulatory compliance and ensure our assets are fit for purpose.
The purpose of this job is to:
· Provide process safety engineering expertise to operational and project delivery teams
· Ensure new assets or modifications to existing assets are in compliance with the company's standards
· Provide expertise to support innovation projects and field trials i.e. to hydrogen transportation projects
· Ensure asset risks are ALARP and tolerable
· Develop discipline internal standards, procedures, best practice and strategies
· Influence external standards to align with the company's forward agenda
· Ensure statutory and regulatory compliance is proactively met
· Assess asset risks and the effectiveness of controls and mitigations
· Actively seek areas for process safety improvement and develop sustainable implementation of solutions
· Provide process safety engineering support to operational and project delivery teams, ensuring asset risks are ALARP.
· Ensure delivery teams follow the company's process safety standards
· Provide advice and sign off on process safety assessment scope to be undertaken
· Lead review and acceptance of major project process safety outputs at key milestones
· Ensure competent chairpersons are appointed for specific process safety assessments
· Leads in influencing and shaping the statutory, regulatory and company standards framework with respect to process safety engineering
· Undertake specialised risk studies
· Undertake qualitative and quantitative risk assessments to determine if asset risks are ALARP and acceptable. This includes to both pipelines and above ground installations.
· Ensure installation layouts proposed are acceptable and ALARP using quantitative risk assessment methods.
· Ensure pipeline risks are acceptable and ALARP by undertaking quantitative risk assessments, proposing suitable mitigations that could be taken.
· Lead pre-start safety reviews of major projects prior to process system start-up
· Participate in incident investigations as required. Ensure that the learning from incident reviews and investigations are communicated with action plans delivered.
· Provide expertise to support innovation projects and field trials i.e. to hydrogen network projects
· Develops, recommends and implements improvements to engineering processes to improve efficiency or the quality of the service provided to stakeholders.
· Maintain and enhance an effective network of internal and external contacts to ensure business and engineering requirements are met.
· Identifies and promotes best practice with operational and delivery teams, driving standardisation across the company.
· Assure programme of works in place to follow up remedial works arising from inspection, maintenance and surveillance activities, and provide appropriate evidence to external stakeholders, e.g. HSE, Ofgem.
· Support the business in preparation of financial cases to address capex and opex investment activities.
· Leads the scope development, review and technical acceptance of process safety work undertaken by external engineering consultancies.
· Responsible for the engineering technical integrity of responses to TQs and Deviations within discipline (referencing company standards and specifications).
· Identify engineering and process safety bulletins or changes to engineering standards. Manage delivery of changes through governance process.
· Lead formal process safety assessments as chairperson when required (HAZOPs, HAZIDs, SIL etc)
· Represents company on external industry panels (IGEM, UKOPA, ENA, TSF etc)
· Contribute to the maintenance of Cadent's gas transportation safety case.
You will possess the following skills, knowledge and qualifications:
· Experience working within gas transmission, distribution, oil and gas, process or petrochemical environment as a process safety engineer or lead
· Able to interpret engineering line diagrams (ELDs), pressure system drawings (PSDs), and piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs).
· Experience chairing process safety assessments (i.e. HAZOP, HAZID, LOPA, SIL, Layout reviews etc)
· Experience leading qualitative risk assessments
· Experience undertaking quantitative risk assessments
· Uses many sources of information (own knowledge, document libraries, standards, surveys etc) to make sound engineering judgements to problems
· Good communicator and influencer
· Undertaken high pressure pipeline and above ground installation quantitative risk assessments by either developing models or using company models
· Site experience in either engineering support, operational, construction or commissioning phases.
· Specific knowledge of gas distribution and transmission asset types and processes
· Specific knowledge of UK gas distribution network (GDN) design, specification and engineering standards
At Cadent we've got a whole host of standard and flexible benefits. You'll get 25 days holiday + statutory days with the option to buy/sell also, a generous pension plan as well as the opportunity to earn bonus. Flexible benefits include: cycle to work scheme, salary sacrifice car, insurance and healthcare packages plus access to our Occupational Health services.
Diversity and Inclusion
Cadent has a commitment to Diversity and Inclusion , the more diverse our organisation is, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our communities in all their diversity. We therefore encourage and welcome applications from people with a diverse variety of backgrounds; age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief.
We want our employees to achieve a work life balance and are happy to discuss flexible working options with you if the role can accommodate it.
If you require any reasonable adjustments during the application process, please let us know.We're committed to be Disability Confident in line with the department of work and pensions scheme.
Be part of something big. Help shape the future of gas for generations to come...... click apply for full job details