Overview of Responsibilities
Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to make a difference? Join our team and contribute to the future of fusion energy. As a Research Chemist, you will work in the Tritium Fuel Cycle (TFC) Division who are responsible for delivering tritium capabilities in support of:
- Fusion fuel cycle research in support of the JET, ITER, DEMO & STEP programmes.
- Tritium technology R&D.
- Commercial activities involving tritium and other active gasses.
Please note this role is not solely lab based.
- We're looking for a research chemist to support on tritium breeder technology and future work on tritium experiments.
- Support with tritium breeder experiments and experimental rig commissioning.
- Planning a test programme, responsible for the day-to-day running of experimental facilities and results analysis.
- Presenting results at conferences, contributing to journal papers and reports.
- Utilising experience with gas analysis methods, in particular hydrogen.
All practical work to be undertaken in a controlled manner using risk assessments and development of controlled work packs and operating instructions. The appointee must also be environmentally aware.Qualifications
- Bachelors or masters degree in chemistry or chemical sciences.
- Experience in a research environment.
- Experience of planning and carrying out research projects.
- Experience with gas analysis methods, in particular hydrogen.
- Ability to communicate to both specialists and non-specialists and write impactful scientific reports/journal papers.
- Ability to work independently, to plan and organise workload, and deliver to deadlines.
- Experience with design of experiments.
- Experience of MatLAB.
- Experience of procurement in support of project work.
A full list of our benefits can be found here
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, people with disabilities, and women. Our Executive team, supported by our 'Equality, Diversity and Inclusion' (EDI) Partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, actively promotes EDI and takes steps to increase diversity within our organization. We reinforce best practices in recruitment and selection and evaluate approaches to remove barriers to success.
Please note that vacancies are generally advertised for 4 weeks but may close earlier if we receive a large number of applications.
For applicants applying from outside the United Kingdom or those who have spent time outside the UK in the last five years, please visit the following link for information on criminal records checks: If your country of residence or previous residence is not listed on the website or if the UK Government does not have information on obtaining a criminal records check from that state, we regret to inform you that we cannot process your application.