Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Senior HSES Advisor to join our Gas & Water business unit to work in the Anglian Region. This role is ideal for an experienced advisor looking for their first steps into HSES management or Manager looking for a diversified position.
- Ensure projects are compliant with the health, safety, environmental and sustainability requirements of the UK Business Management System (BMS);
- Provide projects with technical advice, guidance and support on health and safety matters;
- Support winning business teams with environment and sustainability, (including social value) responses for bids and PQQs;
- Actively contribute to learning, sharing and promoting best practice.
- Line manage a small but effective HSES team
As a Senior HSES Advisor your responsibilities will be:
- Support delivery of UK and Group Zero Harm action plans;
- Support, coach, monitor and mentor operational and functional teams onsite;
- Carry out inspections, targeted inspections and audits as per advisor assurance plan;
- Contribute to the Strategic Business Unit action plan and translate policies, standards & targets for the local sectors/ delivery units;
- Carry out investigations on all incidents, including near misses and feedback any lessons learned;
- Support contract teams to ensure they are compliant with all prevalent legislation and the processes and procedures outlined in the BMS;
- Utilise the findings from reporting data, assessments, external and internal audits to drive action plans and inform key business decisions;
- Provide health and safety expertise to the leadership, contract, project and operational teams in order to support business decisions in line with the SBU action plan;
- Liaise with the HSES and Operational leads to ensure projects are effectively resourced across all areas within the contract;
- Provide on-going expertise, support and coaching to contracts, projects and offices through regular and structured site visits and communications;
- Enable contracts, projects and offices to recognise risks and opportunities, to deliver overall health and safety obligations, improve performance, meet targets and required standards;
- Develop and coach individuals as required to build high performing teams and create a pipeline of talent;
- Live the Balfour Beatty Values;
- Develop own performance through the Brilliant Basics programme and other such initiatives as required;
- Maintain and develop wider HSES skills and knowledge.
Personal Qualities and Experience:
- Ability to influence and promote a positive HSES culture;
- Competence in incident investigation;
- Understanding of UK policy, H&S legislation, regulatory frameworks and experience in briefing senior managers on changes in legislation or policy and how these might affect their area of work;
- Demonstrates commitment to continual learning to refine, further develop and apply expertise to add distinctive value to customers and Balfour Beatty;
- Relevant H&S qualification such as NEBOSH Certificate;
- Membership of professional body such as IO.
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty's Gas & Water teams work in the UK and internationally, providing expertise and experience to support a stable and safe supply of these vital services.
Working on long-term, large-scale contracts, we build close, collaborative relationships with our clients. Our teams bring technical knowledge and in-depth industry experience to projects, provide exceptional customer service and introduce innovative approaches to minimise disruption to local residents, businesses and the environment.
Our water operations cover the whole lifecycle of networks, including clean and waste water mains, metering, treatment facilities and other essential infrastructure. Working closely with the supply chain, we employ industry-leading approaches like BIM and offsite construction to bring cost and time efficiencies to projects.
In the gas sector, we work to expand and renew underground mains, often in busy and high-impact residential and commercial areas. We work closely with clients to manage and plan work intelligently in these areas, minimising the impact this essential work has on local communities.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.