ABOUT THE ROLE
Liberty Speciality Steels currently have an opportunity for a Health & Safety Manager to drive, lead and implement a focused strategy for High Value Manufacturing to ensure the achievement of Business Environment, Health, and Safety (EHS) objectives and targets.
The Health & Safety Manager will maximise opportunities for the development and implementation of best practice EHS systems that improve the control of risk in High Value Manufacturing. Their focus will be on developing and implementing Liberty Speciality Steels Health and Safety Management System and the achievement of ISO45001.
The Health & Safety Manager will actively contribute to the development of best practice EHS standards, systems, and practices for Speciality Steels to secure the desired performance improvements across the legal entity.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Health & Safety Manager will lead the development and implementation of the annual EHS improvement process within the areas of responsibility that is consistent with the Speciality Business Health and Safety improvement plan. Duties and responsibilities include;
- Establish and coordinate the EHS aspects of Operational Control, specifically:
- Developing and promoting the 'Safety Pyramid', ensuring hazards are continuously identified and closed.
- Advising Plant Managers which daily / weekly metrics to review in their Daily Operations Meeting.
- Ensuring Walk The Floor routines are developed and fit for purpose.
- Ensuring the weekly plant EHS meetings are productive
- Leading the HVM Monthly EHS Review.
2. Manage and develop the members of the High Value Manufacturing EHS Team, specifically accomplish the following:
- Ensuring application of the company Health and Safety policy and standards in a way that is consistent with the Speciality Steels organisation and arrangements.
- Establish best practice Health and Safety standards, systems and practices within areas of responsibility and promote their implementation for the wider benefit of the Business.
- Ensure that emergency plans are maintained and are effective within High Value Manufacturing.
- Provide a professional health and safety advisory service within High Value Manufacturing that supports managers in their health and safety responsibilities.
- Lead and contribute to the development of the Speciality Steels Health and Safety Management System including standards and instructions.
- Monitor EHS systems and processes for compliance and continuous improvement.
- Contribute to the EHS training and development of local managers to ensure their competence to meet corporate and legal accountabilities.
- Statistical analysis and monitoring of safety information to enable identification of causes and trends in High Value Manufacturing.
3. Maintain the relationship with and be the primary point of contact with the following:
- Regulators (HSE, Competent Authority) and area.
- Recognised representative bodies, in respect to EHS affecting employees and contractors.
In the event of a serious accident in the area, the Health & Safety Manager will actively lead and direct the accident investigation to ensure all potential learnings are identified and acted upon.
The Health & Safety Manager will hold the following knowledge and experience;
- Educated to degree standard, or equivalent, and with professional functionally qualifications i.e. NEBOSH Diploma and Process Safety knowledge.
- Strong strategic awareness and extensive EHS experience, ideally in a heavy manufacturing industry, and have operated at management level.
- Demonstrate the vision and depth to define and articulate EHS strategy and policy in a persuasive and confident manner in order to influence the senior management population within area of responsibility.
- A proven ability to engage and influence Safety Representatives to harness their contribution to improving EHS performance.
- Determined, quality orientated, organised and disciplined
- Able to uphold and maintain systems/standards
- Hands on approach
- Good verbal communicator and listener
- Analytical, numerate, and computer literate
- Change Agent, willing to challenge the status quo.
- Team player
- Highly developed leadership and influencing skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and management skills
The Health & Safety Manager must also meet the following competencies;
- Establishing Focus - Aligning departmental goals with the strategic direction of the business, ensuring that individuals understand how their work relates to the business' mission.
- Managing Change - Demonstrating support for innovation and for organisational changes needed to improve the organisation's effectiveness; initiating, sponsoring, and implementing organizational change; helping others to successfully manage organizational change.
- Managing Performance - The ability to take responsibility for performance, by setting clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against the goals, ensuring feedback, and addressing performance problems and issues promptly.
- Collaborative Relationships - The ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support.
- Forward Thinking - The ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
- Decisiveness - Able to make difficult decisions in a timely manner. Willing to make decisions in difficult or ambiguous situations, when time is critical and make tough decisions.
- 35 days holiday
- Up to 16% combined pension contribution
- Access to Occupational Health
- Career progression
GREENSTEEL - Come and be a part of our vision for a brighter future for the UK steel industry. Our mission is to transform steel and related manufacturing into a global technology and product leader through our GREENSTEEL strategy. Integral to this plan is sustainability, which drives what we do by using renewable sources where possible to reduce our carbon footprint.
Liberty Speciality Steels, a division of Liberty Steel, plays a significant part to this plan. We are the largest recycler of Steel in the UK and through using Electric Arc Steelmaking, Vacuum Induction Melting, Mill processing and our dedicated service centres, we are able to produce and supply a variety of high-value precision-engineered products for Aerospace, Oil and Gas, Industrial Engineering, Bar and Narrow Strip...... click apply for full job details