AboutEnergy Systems We help customers navigate the complex transition to a decarbonized and more sustainable energy future. We do this by assuring that energy systems work safely and effectively, using solutions that are increasingly digital. We also help industries and governments to navigate the many complex, interrelated transitions taking place globally and regionally, in the energy industry.
As a Senior/Principal Process Safety Consultant, you'll be part of our overall Risk Advisory department, a growing team of over 130 specialists, located across Stockport, Aberdeen, Loughborough and London, providing a wide range of safety and integrity engineering and risk management services to the onshore and offshore energy industry.
As a long-standing trusted advisor to the energy industry, we deliver consequence and risk assessments, reliability, RBI, ALARP justification, regulatory and risk-based decision support on behalf of operators and their contractors. We utilise a comprehensive range of tools for consequence modelling and risk analysis, typically developed and validated through large/full scale experiments performed at our world-renowned major hazards testing and research facility in Spadeadam.
About the Role:
As a Senior/Principal Safety Consultant, you will work in cross functional consulting teams involved in project delivery, project management and business development, supporting and advising clients through the energy transition. Our clients come from a wide range of sectors that are managing major hazards, such as energy distributors, carbon capture, storage, or more traditional process sectors such as oil and gas.
Reporting to one of our Team Leaders, you will have responsibility for leading technical delivery of multiple projects, interacting with customers and colleagues across the business to collaborate on technical problems and develop innovative solutions. You will also be involved in supporting the development of other members of our department by providing guidance, technical leadership and coaching.
You will possess a proven ability to tackle complex technical challenges and relish the opportunity to join a fast-paced technical safety consultancy that is both at the cutting edge of risk analysis techniques and a trusted partner at the heart of the global energy transition.
By strategically engaging with our customers/market through wider activities to showcase DNV capabilities, (e.g., professional / industry bodies, conferences, JIPs, external publications, or social media articles) this a great opportunity to lead the way with technical delivery and innovation to tackle global transformations, such as the decarbonisation of energy networks and investigating the safe transmission, distribution and application of hydrogen as a source of energy.
Ideally based flexibly from our Stockport office or one of our other key hubs (Aberdeen, Loughborough or London) the nature of our role includes a requirement to travel to sites in the UK and occasionally overseas for client-related work and events.
If you are a senior consultant with experience in and a passion for delivering technical safety projects, we would love to hear from you. This is an excellent opportunity to take your career to the next level in a stimulating and rewarding environment and help to shape the future of the energy industry towards net zero.
We offer a flexible and supportive work environment, a comprehensive benefits package, and opportunities for personal development. Join our team today and make a positive impact on the industry and beyond!
We value all our people and the contribution they make to our business, so it's important that our rewards make us all feel valued here. That is why we recognise personal needs and offer a flexible reward and benefits package, allowing you to choose the things that matter to you, including:
- Fantastic career progression opportunities, with the resources to support your development, and the freedom to satisfy your curiosity and desire to learn
- Non-contractual Profit Share Scheme
- Lifestyle benefits: 26 days annual leave + bank holidays, opportunity for up to 10 days unpaid leave, sabbatical leave, flexible working options
- Wellbeing benefits: (inc Private Medical, Dental Insurance, Health Assessments, Gym allowance). Company contribution towards eye tests and glasses (for computer/laptop users), and Flu Vaccinations. Also, our Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) provides free and confidential support for issues including work, family, relationships, money and health and we provide free fruit in our offices
- Financial Benefits: including a Pension Scheme with employer pension contributions up to 9%, Life Assurance and Income Protection
- Travel benefits: Season Ticket Loan, Cycle to Work Scheme, Electric Vehicle Salary Sacrifice Scheme (for personal use)
- Re-imbursement of relevant Professional Membership Fees (up to £500)
- Access to employee retail discount site for high street and on-line shopping
DNV is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to gender, religion, race, national or ethnic origin, cultural background, social group, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age or political opinion. Diversity is fundamental to our culture and we invite you to be part of this diversity.
- 2:1 Degree in Chemical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or other relevant STEM degree
- Demonstrable numerical analysis and consulting experience, with experience of consequence and risk analysis software, gained within either the energy or similar technical/engineering industry, for example:
- QRA - onshore and offshore
- All aspects of functional safety
- Process safety management systems
- Domain knowledge and a range of techniques / theory and software / tools to understand and analyse complex problems, create logical solutions and communicate these effectively in written and verbal reports, presentations and/or proposals, for example:
- Renewables - H2 and CCUS
- COMAH management and safety case, offshore Safety Cases
- Onshore and offshore safety & risk engineering
- Proactively builds effective customer relationships and understanding of customer issues, aligning strategic fit of our service offerings, sharing market intelligence and actively contributing to ongoing service development, consistency and improvements
- Excels in "Seller-Doer" model, actively seeking out and closing new business opportunities for self and wider team, developing proposals and ensuring high retention of repeat work through quality delivery of work
- Takes ownership of project management, directing project teams to meet scope / customer expectations, helping others to be cognisant of available budget, delivery schedule and depth of analysis required
- Initiates, facilitates and promotes purposeful collaboration between teams across SHE Risk/Departments. Develops networks within the region to establish results and support own personal/technical development
- Promotes innovation and tackles novel problems either through technical specialism or broader domain knowledge / experience. Understands the importance of delegating grade appropriate work enabling greater focus/time on more complex/critical issues