Vacancy: Senior Project Engineer
Location: London Paddington or Teesside
Job Family: Engineering
As the the Senior Project Engineer you will work within Johnson Matthey Catalyst Technologies over a range of JM chemical production licensed technologies. The Project Engineering function supports Project Management in managing all aspects of a licensing project life cycle from the proposal, through basic engineering, detailed engineering, procurement, client training, commissioning to project close out. This involves both the contractual and commercial elements of a project in conjunction with the engineering design. Project Engineers have a wide ranging and challenging role within licensing, often working on a number of projects / proposals concurrently, providing excellent opportunities to develop contract and commercial experience.
Johnson Matthey, a FTSE 250 organisation, is a global leader in sustainable technologies specialising in catalysis, precious metal products, chemicals and process technology. With operations in over 30 countries, we employ more than 12,600 people. We have more 200 years of success behind us; be part of the next stage of our growth journey and help maintain our reputation as one of the most admired organisations in our field. Our unique culture and people give us competitive advantage and will ensure our success for years to come. You can be part of that success story.
Catalyst Technologies (CT) is a market leader in the syngas value chain. It develops and supplies high-value, specialty process technology and catalysts for chemicals and fuels processing to enable our customers to operate efficiently, profitably and sustainably. With CT at the forefront of the transition to sustainable chemicals and fuels, the transition to net zero is creating exciting new opportunities in this sector.Your responsibilities:
- To facilitate a disciplined start to all the chemical / mechanical design engineering work. To plan and coordinate all engineering activities on the project.
- To monitor schedule/cost progress and ensure inter-departmental communication is regular and effective.
- To coordinate and participate in safety and engineering reviews and site visit risk assessment meetings. To ensure JM health, safety, environmental and quality procedures are followed and that a high standard of safety is achieved in all associated work.
- To manage the technical interface with client, detailed engineer, vendors and internal functions. To coordinate the flow of engineering documents and responses to client, detailed engineer, vendors and to ensure timely conclusion of matters requiring multi-disciplinary input.
- To work with the procurement, document control and engineering disciplines to coordinate and control the procurement of equipment / catalyst and the review of vendor documentation.
- To maintain close liaison with the Project Manager and to deputise for the PM for agreed actions.
- Proven good leadership of engineering teams, planning and organising on a design engineering project.
- Experience of chemical plant basic and detailed engineering design, safety, operations and commissioning.
- Demonstrated professional and engineering competence / commitment by membership of a recognised professional body as a chartered engineer.
- A self-motivated, proactive individual with drive, initiative and strong communication skills.
- Demonstration of commercial awareness, customer focus & able to negotiate with internal/external parties.
- Good at managing ambiguity, developing solutions and driving them through to completion.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including bonus, excellent pension contributions and 25 days annual leave (varies for shift-based roles).
At JM, an inclusive culture is integral to our values and ambitions for the future. We are committed to ensuring that everyone can bring their full self to work and thrive in their career. Welcoming everyone to JM, regardless of their unique characteristics, experiences or thoughts allows us to bring many different voices and experiences together to tackle the world's biggest challenges. Being truly inclusive means that all colleagues feel valued for their differences, views and contributions, and feel a sense of belonging at JM.
Johnson Matthey is open for discussion on part time, job share and flexible working patterns
Closing date for applications: This job advertisement will be posted for a minimum of 2 weeks, early application is advised
For any queries or should you require any reasonable adjustments to support your application please contact .
How to apply:
If you have the necessary skills and experience to join our team, please apply online. For any queries or should you require any reasonable adjustments to support your application please let your recruiter know when they contact you.
If you are already a Johnson Matthey Employee, please visit the internal careers site to apply: Find Jobs - Workday ( )
All applications are carefully considered and your details will be stored on our secure Application Management System. This is used throughout Johnson Matthey for the selection of suitable candidates for our vacancies as they arise. Johnson Matthey respects your privacy and is committed to protecting your personal information. For more information about how your personal data is used please view our privacy notice: Johnson Matthey Privacy Notice
You will be contacted by the Johnson Matthey Talent Acquisition team once your details have been reviewed. Please allow four weeks from the closing date to allow for screening to take place.
We appreciate the time and effort taken in completing an application.
By applying for this role and creating an account you are agreeing to Johnson Matthey Privacy Notice
Johnson Matthey Plc is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.