Systems Strategy Engineer
Salary from £ 46,935
Up to 10% bonus
Sunderland Doxford Park
Hybrid working office and working from home
40 hours per week
We have an exciting opportunity to join us as our new Systems Strategy Engineer. In this role you will be developing medium and long-term strategic development of the system control functions.
Developing and leading projects is key in this role as you will identify future impacts that will require system change to then develop long term programmes of work to alter systems in a cost-efficient manner to enable easy transition to new UNC code rules, or more fundamental system changes. As such you will also be responsible for the costs and budget management of these special projects, working in close partnership with NGN 3iG and external contractors.
Regular engagement with external stakeholders such as National Gas, WWU, SGN, Cadent will also be part of the role to identify best practise and new trends or capabilities that would be of benefit to NGN.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities
• Creating and delivering action plans to enable positive change a in line with NGN, 3iG and Innovation / Energy Futures strategies
• Leading engagement with a broad range of external stakeholders to ensure that NGN Control Centre strategy and project portfolio is validated and supported by stakeholder views
• Responsible for the day-to-day management and improvement of the centre s Critical National Infrastructure CNI , such as SCADA, Business Applications, forecaster
• Management and development of ancillary systems such as logbook, fault logging, learning databases
• Representation on industry forums, for instance biomethane, Hydrogen, National Emergency Response and Gas Quality. To develop future hydrogen adoption strategy, understanding the impact on regulatory license conditions and associated reporting, sharing best practice, delivery and embed learning and disseminate knowledge to the industry and within NGN
• Management and delivery of Control Centre projects, funded through all appropriate funding mechanisms NIA, UIOLI, SIF or Capex through collaboration with key stakeholders relating to the transition to a future energy system, improvement programmes and wider efficiency activities, in compliance with governance and license requirements
What we are looking for
• Degree qualified or equivalent within technical discipline
• Technical knowledge and experience of successful project planning and co-ordination on a range of work types
• Experience working in the energy sector
• Ability to demonstrate previous positive work/engagement with external stakeholders such as local enterprise partnerships, BEIS, Academia
• High level of numerical and mathematical ability
• Excellent problem solving, analytical and communication skills
What we Offer
• Starting salary from £46,935
• Up to 10% bonus (dependent upon achievement of set targets)
• 40 hours per week
• 25 days annual leave (plus recognised bank holidays and 2 half days over the Christmas period)
• SSP for first 7 calendar days then occupational sick pay
• A generous stakeholder 5/10 pension scheme
We are Northern Gas Networks. We deliver gas to 2.7 million homes and businesses in the North East, Northern Cumbria and much of Yorkshire. That s around 6.7million individual customers. We don t generate or sell the gas, but we transport it to homes and businesses in our region through a vast network of underground pipes. In fact, we own and maintain more than 37,000km of gas pipes - enough to stretch from Leeds to Sydney and back again. We cover large cities like Newcastle, Sunderland, Leeds, York, Hull, and Bradford, and our work extends to rural areas like North Yorkshire and Cumbria.
Our Values are at the heart of what we do. In addition to your key responsibilities, you will incorporate these into the daily life of your role. We are Trailblazing, Empowered, Heartfelt, Community Focused, Intellectually Curious and most of all we are Happy!
Our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion culture at NGN is embedded in everything that we do. We will be delighted to hear from a diverse range of applicants, so we can continue to grow our great team of people. We are proud to support the Armed Forces Covenant, helping ex-services personnel back into employment, as well as being members of WISE (Women in Science and Engineering) and we are committed to delivering our Opportunity Action Plan having signed the Social Mobility Pledge campaign, whereby we will establish our business as a force for good in the communities that we serve.
Next Steps. Please apply by clicking apply and uploading your CV. We love to see how your experience and skills are transferable to this role so please ensure these are all included in your application. Once the advert has closed, we will be contact within two weeks to let you know if you have progressed to the next stage. We are looking to hold interviews for this role mid-end January. We look forward to receiving your application for the role.
If you require adjustments to support you throughout the recruitment process, we want to hear about how we can help. Any applicant that requires reasonable adjustments from initial application through to interview are asked to contact the Recruitment Team at (url removed)