The International Plays & Basins Service is an industry leading group that researches the process by which the world's key petroleum basins are commercialized; via both upstream and synergistic energy sector activity. Customer focus is central to this team's approach in generating content, analysis and insight that would enhance customers' critical decisions and optimize solutions. Our service provides thought leadership and delivers research product in the form of Basin Reports, Strategic Reports and Global E&P Activity Trends Reports, which are sold to clients usually on a subscription basis. We are in continuous dialogue with our clients in upstream and the business world; our daily work may involve research themed presentations and interactions at any level within external organizations, up to and including board level.
This role will generate industry-leading and integrated upstream market intelligence and research commonly is being undertaken by the service within the following subject areas;
- Analysis of trends within the upstream oil and gas industry, from the perspective of a global, regional, or geological basin viewpoint. Basin analysis starts with an assessment of the geology and incorporates perspectives on upstream exploration, development, and production activities.
- Analysis of the upstream asset commercialization process, inclusive of M&A activity, and project planning and execution; and consideration of broader commercialization opportunities including those relating to low and net-zero carbon technologies.
- Analysis of global and regional oil and gas supply trends.
- Analysis of the impact of the Energy Transition on upstream activities.
With a deep understanding and expertise in the international E&P business, this role will also support revenue growth for the Upstream Solutions business line.
What's in it for you:
- Join a dynamic internationally orientated research team generating leading upstream and synergistic energy sector research that supports workflow solutions driving customer success.
- Have a pivotal role as one of our regional subject matter experts, building strategic relationships and bringing thought leadership on upstream, energy and supply topics.
- The role holds a high level of responsibility for driving our deliverables to completion and a successful conclusion in terms of publication/presentation.
- The role will offer the opportunity for exposure to important companies and high-ranking individuals through client calls and presentations.
- The candidate will report to the Senior Manager of the International Plays & Basin's Service and will originate and undertake upstream and energy technical, commercial and industry trend research.
- The role requires the candidate to extract and analyze large volumes of information and data, using appropriate computer-based tools, examining these datasets for the pinpointing of relevant trends and insights. Data will predominantly relate to global basins, E&P activity, and also oil and gas supply/demand information.
- Commonly the candidate will then be required to deliver a report to a high standard of overall presentation, readability, and quality to deliver their assessments and findings to our clientele.
- The candidate will have an ability both to identify key questions that are pertinent / currently critical to the trajectory of upstream and related energy sectors, and to come up with ideas on how these questions may be answered.
- Often the role will comprise working with and providing support to the wider Plays & Basins team members, by assisting them with important elements of research workflows, analysis and report generation. This role may involve some mentoring of less experienced staff in certain key disciplines.
- The role will involve client facing responsibilities; the candidate should be confident in undertaking such tasks, demonstrating professionalism and a high level of presentation skills.
What We're Looking For:
- The role will suit an individual with an enquiring mind and deep appreciation of the current situation and future trajectory of the upstream and energy sectors in general.
- The role would suit a numerate graduate with a degree in Geoscience, Engineering, Economics or a related discipline, plus 5-10 years of relevant experience would be highly desirable.
- It is essential that the candidate should demonstrate a high level of understanding of petroleum exploration, petroleum engineering and petroleum economics. A good appreciation of the supply/demand dynamics of oil and gas markets would be a plus.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills. Evidence of an ability to write reports to a high standard, particularly those that are research related, will be essential. Proven presenter in regional industry events and published technical papers will be a plus.
- The candidate will possess good IT and data analysis skills. Knowledge of S&P Commodity Insights - Upstream Solutions products and workflows preferred. Ability to effectively use GIS platforms, analytical and mapping software.
- The candidate will have the ability to prioritize multiple projects and work to deadlines.
- We are looking for a Team player who has an ability to work with others, whilst also demonstrating a high level of integrity, initiative and willingness to learn.
Equal Opportunity Employer
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other status protected by law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
US Candidates Only: The EEO is the Law Poster describes discrimination protections under federal law.
-RESECH202.2 - Middle Professional Tier II (EEO Job Group)