The Gastrointestinal Bacteria Reference Unit (GBRU) are looking for a Unit Head/Lead Scientist to join the team.
You will be responsible for scientific leadership and having comprehensive oversight and responsibility of all scientific and managerial matters across a designated Unit in UKHSA's public health microbiology laboratories within its Clinical & Public Health Group, with close links to the Specialised Microbiology & Laboratories Directorate. This role will focus on ensuring that there is good governance generally overall and specifically in respect of Health & Safety, Quality Standards, Regulatory Compliance, HR Management and Risk Management within the Specialised Microbiology & Laboratories lead component of the role and on ensuring Clinical Governance; Information Governance and Quality Standards in the Clinical & Public Health Group lead component of the role.
The post holder may work with colleagues who are based across the country at different sites and/or who work remotely.
This role is based in the UKHSA Colindale office, 61 Colindale Avenue, London, NW9 5EQ
It is important through your application and Statement of Suitability of 1500 words that you give evidence and examples of proven experience of each of the essential criteria (for full details of all essential criteria please refer to the attached job description, you must review this to produce your statement of suitability):
- PhD in a biological science & HCPC Registration or registration to be obtained with 18 months of taking up the role
- National/International recognition for organism specific or subject matter expertise
- Expertise in the specialist area covered by the post
- Experience in laboratory technology; broad experience of culture, resistance monitoring, molecular and serological assays, and test evaluations as appropriate
- Experience of working within a quality system
- Understanding and experience of laboratory safety regulations and procedures
- Detailed knowledge of specialist and reference microbiology functions and their contribution to public health
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Able to convey instructions, ideas and opinions clearly and concisely.
- Manage many high profile projects simultaneously
- Presenting to a national and international audience